Monday, December 10, 2012

Modified Monday 12/7


It's Modified Monday! Last week we took a peek into the mindset of Kenley Grayson before the draft. This week, we'll get a look at her relationship with Joey Reilly, plus the story of Joey star and Kenley star.

"'Hey, Joey?' I asked breaking the silence. 'Yeah?'
"'Do you remember the game we used to play with Dylan? He used to drive us out here and we'd sit in the back of his truck while staring up at the sky and play the star game?'
 "'How could I forget? The "What's Your Star" game, right?' 'Yep.'
"'Yeah, I remember. You'd pick a star, name it, and then make up a story about it,' he replies with a warm laugh, almost like he was remembering back to a particular time. 'Do you want to play? You know, for old times' sake?' 'Sure.'
"'I'll go first,' I say and then scan the sky for a star. The blanket of tiny twinkling lights above our heads is truly breathtaking. There are so many stars in the sky that it almost makes it impossible to choose just one. I finally settle on a large bright one off to our left. It's surrounded by several other stars, but its light is so intense that it shines there like a beacon in the darkness. 'That one,' I announce as I point to it.
"'Good choice. Now, what's its name?' he asks. 'Joey.' 'Joey, huh?' 'Yep I'm dedicating this one to you.' The moment I say that, another star right next to the one I chose begins to shine just as bright.
"'Well, I'm choosing that one then,' Joey states, pointing to the star next to mine. 'That star has your name written all over it.' I laugh and so does he. 'What's your star's story?' he asks me.
"'Actually, if you don't mind, I have a story for both of them,' I reply with a slight smile. 'Oh really? Consider me intrigued,' he jokes.
"I strengthen my grip on his hand. 'The Joey and Kenley star are best friends, and have been inseparable since they were young. They've been through a lot and have perservered, not allowing  their glow to ever be diminished. Joey and Kenley have made a pact that they will always be by each other's sides, and nothing, not even death, will keep them apart. When one of them glows bright, the other one glows just as bright because they support one another, no matter what.'
"I feel Joey kiss my forehead and lay his head down closer to mine. 'Kenley Grayson. You are my best friend in the entire world. You know that, right?' 'Yes, and so are you,' I reply as a tear rolls down my cheek. There's a slight pause in our conversation as a silence falls between us.' 

Just really good friends or something more? You can find out all about their relationship, how it started and what happens to them as they become The Modified.

Buy it here at Amazon

Buy it here at Barnes and Noble
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment